LARES Graduate Scholar Award
Applications for the 2023-2024 academic year will be accepted starting March 2023 through April 2023.
The LARES Graduate Scholar Award was established to support the academic success of Latino students pursing a post-baccalaureate degree from UIC. Candidates are considered based on merit, leadership, and commitment to the Latino Community. The $2,000 award must be applied toward tuition, fees, and educational related expenses.
- Must be a Latino student who is currently enrolled in a UIC master’s or doctoral degree program.
- Must have a minimum graduate G.P.A. of 3.5 on a 4.0 scale.
- Must be enrolled full-time (at least 9 credit hours) in a graduate program.
- Must maintain a full-time course load during the semester the award is distributed.
- Must be eligible for in-state tuition.
- Holders of F-1 student visas are ineligible.
To be considered for this award, students will need to:
- In completing your application, you will be prompted to answer the following questions:
- Describe your professional aspirations. How will you use your degrees to serve as a change agent for the Latino community? (300 words)
- Discuss your involvement / leadership with the Latino community and/or UIC campus activities. (250 words)
- Discuss your current financial situation including financial hardships if applicable (i.e. unemployment, medical expenses, etc.). (200 words)
- Submit resume.
- Submit one letter of recommendation on official letterhead from a professor who can comment on your academic potential. Letters should be e-mailed directly to the Dr. Mitzi Ramos (email@example.com) with “Graduate Scholar Award Committee” in the subject line.
For more information, contact Dr. Mitzi Ramos at (312) 996-3356 or firstname.lastname@example.org.