LARES Tuition Award
Applications for the Spring 2022 semester are now being accepted.
The LARES Tuition Award aims to assist LARES students reach their goal of obtaining a baccalaureate degree. Candidates are considered based on merit, leadership, and commitment to the Latino Community.
Priority is given to students who do not receive MAP grant money and those who are not already receiving some form of tuition assistance. Recipients may receive full or partial tuition waivers, depending on available funds. Please note that this award does not cover university fees or expenses related to study abroad program participation.
- Current UIC undergraduate students.
- Students must have earned a minimum of 12 credit hours at UIC at the time of award application.
- Students must be in good academic standing with a minimum GPA of 3.0 (cumulative).
- Student must maintain a full-time course load during the semester the award is distributed.
- Students must be eligible for in-state tuition.
- Holders of F-1 student visas are ineligible.
To be considered for this award, students will need to:
- Complete the LARES Tuition Award online application.
- In completing your application, you will be prompted to answer the following questions:
- Describe your academic and professional goals. How will these goals benefit the Latino community? (300 words)
- Discuss your involvement / leadership with the Latino community and/or UIC campus activities. (250 words)
- How can LARES support you in achieving your academic and career goals? (200 words)
- Discuss your current financial situation including financial hardships if applicable (i.e. unemployment, medical expenses, etc.). (200 words)
- Submit resume.
- Submit one letter of recommendation on official letterhead from a UIC advisor, instructor, or administrator. Letters should be e-mailed directly to the LARES office (email@example.com) with “Tuition Award Committee” in the subject line.
For more information, contact Eddie Mendoza at (312) 996-3356 or firstname.lastname@example.org.