LARES Tuition Award
Applications for the Spring 2024 semester will be accepted starting October 2023.
The LARES Tuition Award aims to assist LARES students reach their goal of obtaining a baccalaureate degree. Candidates are considered based on merit, leadership, and commitment to the Latino Community.
Priority is given to students who do not receive MAP grant money and those who are not already receiving some form of tuition assistance. Recipients may receive full or partial tuition waivers, depending on available funds. Please note that this award does not cover university fees or expenses related to study abroad program participation.
- Current UIC undergraduate students.
- Students must have earned a minimum of 12 credit hours at UIC at the time of award application.
- Students must be in good academic standing with a minimum GPA of 3.0 (cumulative).
- Student must maintain a full-time course load during the semester the award is distributed.
- Students must be eligible for in-state tuition.
- Holders of F-1 student visas are ineligible.
To be considered for this award, students will need to:
- Complete the LARES Tuition Award online application.
- In completing your application, you will be prompted to answer the following questions:
- Tell us about you. What is your story? Include your academic and professional goals. (200-250 words)
- How do your goals contribute to the advancement of the Latino community? (100 words)
- Describe an experience where you made a significant contribution and/or demonstrated leadership in the Latino and/or the UIC community. (150-200 words)
- What is your most significant academic achievement during your time at UIC? (200 words)
- Aside from scholarship opportunities, how can LARES support you in achieving your goals? Please comment on how LARES already supports your success, if you are new to LARES, comment on what services/resources you plan to utilize. (100 words)
- Submit resume.
- Submit one letter of recommendation on official letterhead from a UIC advisor, instructor, or administrator. Letters should be e-mailed directly to the Daisy Medina (email@example.com) with “Tuition Award Committee” in the subject line.