LARES Transfer Scholar Award
Applications for the Fall 2022 semester will be accepted starting Monday, April 11, 2022 through Friday, July 1, 2022.
The LARES Transfer Scholar Award is designed to assist incoming transfer students reach their goal of obtaining a baccalaureate degree. Candidates are considered based on merit and leadership. Award funding is specifically earmarked for tuition, fees, and other educational related expenses.
- New transfer students who have earned at least 36 transfer credits.
- Student must be in good academic standing with a minimum GPA of 3.25.
- Student must qualify for in-state tuition.
To be considered for this award, students will need to:
- Complete the LARES Transfer Scholar Award online application.
- Submit resume.
- Submit a recent headshot (high-resolution, color, size: 2.5 x 3.5 ratios, PNG or JPG). The picture should be suitable for use in any printed literature announcing the recipients. Selfies are not accepted.
- Submit one letter of recommendation on official letterhead from an advisor, professor, or administrator. (Please have recommenders upload letter through the following link: https://forms.illinois.edu/sec/103352.)
- Respond to the following questions; please limit each response to 250-300 words:
- Discuss your academic and professional goals. How will these goals contribute to the Latino community?
- Discuss your involvement and/or leadership experiences within the Latino community. Feel free to reference any pertinent volunteer work, student involvement, or workforce experience.
Recipients of the LARES Transfer Award will be expected to:
- Maintain a full-time course-load (at least 12 credits) at UIC during the semester the award is distributed.
- Complete a minimum of 5 hours volunteering with the LARES program during the term the award is granted. More information will be provided to recipients.
For more information, contact Marilyn Diaz at (312) 996-3356 or firstname.lastname@example.org.